Building the table

The table was definitely a lot of work.  It was a simple enough plan, three levels, locking castors on the bottom so I could move and adjust it, and sealed with polyurethane to keep it from warping with humidity.  I stuck with a 48″ by 48″ size, which would give me plenty of space for the 1000mm squared CNC frame.

IMG_20140920_173055448
Starting frame

I started with two 2x4s for the bottom frame, because the screws for the wheels needed something to grab onto.

IMG_20140920_173107904

I love pocket screws now. The printer hutch I put together earlier, and this table were the start of my building with them. They make putting furniture together easy, and sturdy.  Don’t forget to add some glue to the joint.  You have to be aware that they will pull upward, so if you’re trying to be accurate, make sure to take that into account.

IMG_20140920_192709163_HDR

The finished assembly of the frame.  Time to put wheels on it.

IMG_20140920_203032793_HDR IMG_20140922_224116464

Locking castors are only on two of the corners, and both on the same side.

IMG_20140923_074202864_HDR

The top is the only attached surface, the other two platforms are cut in half, and placed after assembly.

 

 

IMG_20141001_224627244

This is after the shelves are cut and placed in, and after the top has been trimmed with the router to fit.  It’s secured down with screws at this point.

IMG_20141004_192834086

Here’s the finished table, and in this picture you can definitely notice the glossy top.  The top surface has 4 coats of polyurethane, and each of the support structure members has at least 2 coats.  The only thing left uncoated are the shelves, which are unattached.

As I was working with the table during the build out of the CNC, I noticed that it was a bit more wobbly than I preferred.  I looked at right angle brackets at the hardware stores, and they all seemed to be too expensive.  16 of them are needed, which adds up quick when they’re $6 each.  I decided to get some strap steel with holes and cut it to size for each corner.  This was pretty quick to implement, and worked like a charm.  The table has definitely improved in stability.

 

IMG_20141228_151717730_HDR