An exercise in delayed gratification

Waiting for parts sucks.

The only consolation I have about getting older and supposedly wiser, is being able to see ahead of time the things I need to do to prepare.  As well as knowing that I need to get them done if I actually want to feel successful when my parts DO arrive.  In this case, I needed to build a place for the CNC to live, because a 1000mm x 1000mm CNC machine wasn’t going to live on any surface I currently had.  This meant I needed to create a table.  I had just created a printer hutch over Labour Day weekend, so I had materials and experience from that to guide me in building the table.  However there was one other thing that I discovered from that build that I would need first.  With all the sanding involved I was using a shop vac to keep the dust under control.  A good amount of fine dust like you get from sanding can clog a vac quickly.  I needed a dust separator.  I saw one on Rockler for $79, but I thought I could build one cheaper and quicker.  Remember what I said about being “supposedly wiser”?  Yeah, this isn’t one of those instances.  While it did cost less in terms of cash, it didn’t cost less in terms of time and design changes needed in order to make it work.

IMG_20140914_185538085_HDRI chose to build it from two 5 gallon buckets, with the dust cone separator in the top, and the dust collection in the bottom bucket.  A dust separator works by using a cone to spin the dust laden air around enough that the momentum of the dust carries it into the collection at the bottom while the air is sucked up at a 90 degree angle.  There usually is a small amount of fine dust left in the air, but it should be significantly less.

I had to find a cone.  I racked my brain to find a cone I could hack into this purpose, and only after 8 months did I see that someone is using a traffic cone as the cone.  That’s pretty clever, but since I couldn’t think of that, I decided to create one out of sheet metal.  I need a template for a flat-topped cone, and a Google search later I had a calculator that helped me figure out the size of sheet metal to buy.  I found it here.  I needed to create a compass large enough to trace out the radius of circle I needed to cut.  I used a segment of a long strip of plastic, screwed into a board.  I notched the sheet metal where the halfway mark was, so it could sit up against the screw.  Then I drilled holes in the strip at the points I needed to draw.

IMG_20140914_185343603_HDR

IMG_20140914_185428616

I figured out later that I could use a binder clip and stick the pen/pencil through the clip, but at this point the problem was solved.   It’ll come in handy in the future.

IMG_20140920_130846155

Cutting sheet metal leaves murderously sharp edges, which is why I highly recommend gloves when handling.

IMG_20140914_190224191_HDR IMG_20140914_191628360  IMG_20140920_131157227IMG_20140914_200040083_HDR

The top bucket needs to be fastened to the lid of the bottom bucket, but also needs to be sealed.  As anyone who has messed with HDPE will tell you, it sucks if you have to glue it.  Mechanical fasteners or heat welding it are the only two options.  In the case of the cone, it could only be fastened mechanically, which is something I planned on.  To attach the lid of the bottom bucket to the top bucket, I used screws and spacers.  IMG_20140920_131114397IMG_20140920_131139182

The seal was the tricky bit.  You can see here that I started with weather stripping.  Unfortunately, this didn’t last.  While nice and flexible to fit in the crack, it also was too flexible and so it pulled into the space too easily, leaving a gap.  I solved this by using silicone.  I gooped enough onto the joint that it forms a permanent placed gasket.  While it isn’t perfect, it will suck down into the gap whenever the vacuum is used.

IMG_20140920_131043298IMG_20150517_130101137

One final design problem remained: how to keep the bottom bucket from buckling in when the vacuum is on.  I looked online and found a few people with the same problem and a solution: cut a small disk that fits about half way down.

IMG_20140920_130825970 IMG_20140920_131218665

The finished product.

IMG_20140920_131014559 IMG_20140920_130925118

Finally, there’s the problem of keeping the shop vac and the separator together.  This was solved by a bit of spare lumber I had sitting around, worked into a small cart that I could bungee the separator and the vac to.

IMG_20140920_142002798

Next post, I’ll detail the build of the table.